Some more tips to minimize waste:
- Ask yourself: "Do I need this?"
- Try visiting the Recycling Center for great items
- You can get a steal on items at the Recycling Center! $5 gets you a small bag to fill with anything you want (or upgrade to a big bag for a total of $10). Also, electronics are available for free!
- Try to purchase products that:
- Are designed to last a long time (long warranties and repair service options when appropriate)
- Have replaceable parts and are easy to repair
- Can be easily reused or recycled
- Are made from recycled materials
- Do not contain toxic materials
- Have minimal packaging, if any
Why is sorting your waste important?
- It helps less waste go to landfills!
- Compostable materials get sent to Middlebury's own compost facility and is eventually used for landscaping at the College.
- Recyclables get sent to Casella Waste Management where they're able to be recycled into other goods.
- Less waste to landfills means that your waste has less adverse effects!
- Landfills introduce health hazards, fires and explosions, vegetation damage, groundwater pollution, air pollution, and contributions to global warming
- It helps out the staff and the Material Recovery Facility!
- They already do a wonderful job at ensuring 70.5% of waste from the campus never reaches a landfill -- let's help ensure even more waste is diverted from the landfill.
Huge props to the team down at the Recycling Center! They are the MVPs in diverting the College's waste. If you want to join their work, apply online! Their only requirement is that you work at least one hour at a time.